Trataka is a yogic purification and a tantric method of meditation that involves staring at a single point such as a small object, black dot, or candle flame. It is said to bring energy to the “third eye” and promote various psychic abilities. Trataka aka candle gazing is considered another method of divination. Essentially, it is a tool to activate clairvoyance (clear-seeing).
Trataka also helps the body physically. It counteracts staring at screens; which lowers concentration and memory. Instead, it works to lower anxiety and improve memory and concentration.
How to practice Trataka:
Find a comfortable seat, ensuring that your hips are higher than your knees and that the flame is at eye level.
- Fix your gaze on the flame in front of you, allowing your expression to soften.
- Do your best to avoid blinking and close your eyes only when it’s absolutely necessary, most likely when they’ve begun to water.
- The longer you resist blinking, the easier it will be to maintain the image of the flame with closed eyes.
- Even after your eyes are closed, continue to visualize the flame in the center of your brow, also known as your third eye.
- Work towards a steady and uninterrupted focus on the image of the flame, that simultaneously quiets the mind.
- When you hear the pin drop, gently invite yourself back to the present moment by deepening your breath.
- Blow out the candle and take a moment to notice how you feel.
As always, I encourage journaling.